Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Parenting Breakthrough

I just have to share about a great book I'm reading. I've been reading... No, actually studying this book called The Parenting Breakthrough by Merrilee Boyack. I am trying to prepare for summer with this book. I am going to start a new routine of course, once school is out for the summer. My children are going to work, woRK, WORK (if all goes as planned). But after work we will play, plAY, PLAY!! I met last week, with my friend Shamarie who I look up to, to see her "system" and see how she runs her home. She has 6 very good kids from graduating-high-school-senior-age to one-year-old-toddler. Her home is clean and orderly, and her kids all do their jobs and are very well-mannered. So of course I needed to see how she does it!

So between the things I have learned from Shamarie, my other friend Debbie (who also runs a well-planned, orderly household), "Parenting Breakthrough", Carleen Tanner's Parenting class that I attended this last school year, and my own up-bringing (because we worked our little tails off growing up)... Maybe I can make this summer a successful "training period" for my children.

If anyone has any inspiration, advice or great ideas to share, please comment on this post! If you are needing inspiration, advice or some great ideas go to Amazon.com or Deseret Book and get yourself a copy of The Parenting Breakthrough! While you're there, Merrilee also has some other fantastic books and CD's to check out (which I also enjoy) like on marriage. ("Strangling Your Husband Is Not An Option"- a must have!) And my next purchase will be "52 Weeks of Fun Family Service".

4 Share the Love:

alison said...

I also have this book. I haven't read it cover to cover, but have found great ideas and practices. Thanks for the motivation. . . i need to get planning for summer too:)

gina said...

darn, I forgot about summer planning! You just added something to my long list of spring cleaning and spring gardening!
I have BOTH those books, the parenting one and the strangling your husband one. I love them both, she talked at the time out for couples last year and was hilarious, my favorite speaker. Such true, great advice in both of these books! gina

gina said...

Darn! you just reminded me of another thing to get done this spring! I need to plan for summer! I still am doing spring cleaning and spring gardening, etc.!
I actually have both of those books, the parenting one and the strangling your husband one. Love them both. She talked at time-out for couples last year and was hilarious, my favorite speaker! These books are awesome, true, funny and great advice!

coree said...

Angela,
I just wanted to let you know that Dave and I did the work but I finished it when all the parts came in. Needless to say everything is up and running and not falling apart. I told Dave about you but could you tell me your maiden name because he doesn't remember. I think this is so fun to keep in touch. I am sorry about Rod's grandma being in the hospital. Take care
Coree