Thursday, October 2, 2008

Cody's Accident

Cody had a traumatic accident last Saturday (the 27th). He was riding his bike fast, looked back at his cousin and ran right into the neighbor's metal mail box. The impact filleted the skin on a part of his neck, and he was bleeding all over. I was just returning from running some errands while my sister was in charge. (She lives across the street.) I had pulled up right after the accident happened. Colton and cousin, Dalton were screaming and running toward the van, horrified at what had happened. Cody was trailing behind them holding his neck with blood all over his shirt. Aimee (my sister) was in the bathroom, so she still had no clue what had just happened.
Seeing what was going on, I stopped the van in the middle of the street and ran to Cody. Complete panic set in as all I saw was a gaping whole in my little boy's neck. I ran into Aimee's house with Cody and grabbed a dish cloth to try and stop the bleeding with pressure, while Dalton ran around looking for the phone to call 911. Colton just stood by, terrifed and screaming while I called 911. I couldn't even get the words out, and by that time my sister came out of her bathroom wondering what was going on. I handed her the phone to deal with the call while I attended to Cody.
Seeing that Cody was still crying and rosey-colored, I felt relieved that no arteries had been damaged. So I kept pressure on his neck, and tried to get my emotions under control until the paramedics arrived. The kids were all standing around us, very worried and crying by this time. (It all happened so fast.)
It seemed like forever before the ambulance and fire truck arrived (but I think they actually got there pretty quick). They both arrived and the paramedics took care of things and told the fire fighters they could leave. Hailey was still inconsolable and crying by all the trauma, and the firemen were so sweet. Aim said that they knelt down and talked to Hailey and comforted her, then they gave all the kids a tour of the fire truck and handed out stickers to each of them before they left. Another reason to love fire fighters! The paramedics did their job and patched Cody up so I could take him to the emergency room myself. They fixed Cody up good at the ER. He ended up with 8 stitches! We post-poned Hailey's birthday party that was scheduled for that evening, and I went home and took some time to ponder and regroup. Rod was gone all day in Garden Valley doing a job for a friend he works with, so I was so grateful to be staying at my parents' with all of their support.
The neighbor's mailbox was pretty messed up. This picture does not give it justice, and I didn't get the picture in time before he replaced it. But the post was bent and the mailbox slightly mangled. What a blessing Cody is still in one piece and safe here with us! We are SO very grateful!!
Cody is doing great! AFter taking it easy for a few days, he has "bounced" back just fine (no pun intended). Here he is on the trampoline like nothing ever happened. His neck is healing up nicely with just a little bruising. We sometimes call him "Frank" as in Frankenstein, and my dad calls him "Zipper-Neck".

I am just glad it's over. This experience as a mother was totally traumatizing for me. Looking back, I know I reacted the wrong way (in panic) and should've been more calm like they say you should. But when it's your child, man! I lost it. The thoughts of not knowing how bad it really is, and wheather or not this might be time to say goodbye... It's an excruciating feeling, one I hadn't yet experienced to this degree and hope to never have to experience again. I try not to think about it a lot because of the emotions attached. I just thank Heavenly Father daily for each precious family member and our health and strength. I feel so blessed.

5 Share the Love:

BDandFamily said...

Oh my goodness Cody! I'm so glad he is okay. What a trooper!

Fun times said...

I am so glad he is ok. I would have reacted the same way :) Glad Cody has recovered!

Diana said...

Glad to hear that all turned out ok. The fire fighters sure were great to distract the kids!

Unknown said...

Wow, Ang! How scary that must have been for you, and poor Cody! What a tough guy. I am so glad it turned out better than it could have! He'll have that scar to show what a big, strong boy he is to all his friends!

Anonymous said...

hi - just came across your blog...
fortunately you posted "after" pictures as a happy end... well if it had been my daughter I would have probably fainted...