Sunday, March 9, 2008

Happy Birthday Mom Kynaston

Today was Rod's mother's birthday. She would have turned 60. She passed away 5 years ago this summer (June 29, 2003) from ALS (Lou Gerheg's Disease) at age 55. I thought a lot about her today, and reflected on some of the things I loved most about her. For one thing, she raised a great son; a gentleman, a good father, and a strong priesthood holder. She also raised 4 neat daughters who I love as sis-in-laws. She was so silly and fun, and the "life of the party". She was always laughing and making everyone else laugh too. She loved having the family around and knowing that everyone was having fun together. She loved her grandchildren and was always there for them. She was there in the delivery room for 2 of my children's births. I was a little embarrassed when she would call my OB-GYN doctor by his first name becasue she knew him way back when her little brother was best friends with him. It was hillarious, really! While she was sick and in her wheelchair, she still made it to the delivery room for Hailey's birth and was one of the first to hold her.
We want our children to remember Grandma Kynaston, so we talk about her a lot. The kids often ask questions about her too, and we visit her grave every so often. Today on her 60th birthday we thought we'd go celebrate with her. So we made her a big B-day card (that I lamenated in case of the weather) and brought hellium balloons with messages to her written on them, a pinwheel to stick next to the card, and cupcakes to eat for her birthday. We sang happy birthday to Grandma and let our balloons go up to heaven. Then we ate our cupcakes in her honor.
This evening, we had Rod's sisters and their families over for cake and ice cream in Mom's behalf. It was nice to get together and remember her. I am so grateful for family and for our Heavenly Father's plan and the knowledge that families can be together forever. HAPPY BIRTHDAY Mom Karon. I love and miss you.

4 Share the Love:

Cala said...

Love your post, sad we couldn't be there!!! But I definately thought of her all day!!!

Tasha Coltrin said...

I love the post!!!

Katie said...

Ang- You are such a great mom and wife what a special way to celebrate her birthday. The picture of Rods dad looks just like Rod but with hair it is so funny to me!

Momma Bear said...

What a special daughter-in-law you are to celebrate Karon's birthday. What a neat idea. You inspire me.